Thursday, March 6, 2008

Top 100 of 2007 (71-80)

70. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Ok, so I should preface this, but... I just don't like musicals. I don't. I find them shrill, corny, and excruciating to sit through. Now, that having been said, I think this one was a tolerable one. The bursting into song shit annoys me, but here, the story won me over. Not perfect, but as far as musicals go, I could sit through it. If you're more inclined toward musicals, you may like this more than I did.


72. Ghosts of Cite Soleil
A pretty interesting documentary about gang life in the slums of Haiti, and how much of it is influenced by American Gangster rap. I kind of felt, after watching City of God so many years ago, that it lessened this films impact a little.... a little "been there, seen that," but it's still a worthwhile film.

73. Fido
A clever little satire lampooning the Lassie era of the 1950's and its supposed idealism, but through the use of domesticated zombies instead of an adorable Collie. Doesn't always hit the mark, but it was amusing enough.


74. Severance
This seems to be the area of the list chock full of films that don't quite work, but worked enough to where I enjoyed them, and Severance is yet another of those films. A step above the slasher movie genre with some nice wit, but I was entertained. Not much more to say than that.

75. Black Snake Moan
Truth is... I didn't think I'd like this one, but it ended up being substantially better than i thought, and mostly because of Samuel L. Jackson's performance. Can't say the same about Christina Ricci, and especially Justin Timberlake, but it ended up being entertaining enough.

76. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
I was actually a little disappointed with this one, after having read so many strong reviews. It isn't a bad film by any means, but I didn't find it worthy of the praise that it got. I suppose when I'm watching a documentary, I like to laugh with, not at, the subjects. I could relate to Steve and his struggles, but the "villain," Billy, was just almost too cartoonish for me. Sure, he's a dork (you almost half to be to enter into a King Kong tournament). but I just felt like he was playing up to the cameras too much. Sometimes, truth can be stranger than fiction, but if you don't buy a performance in a documentary, something's a little off.

77. Private Fears In Public Places
This was a decent film filled with nice performances, but just ultimately didn't stick with me a great deal. I enjoyed it just fine. But a film that has very little recall for me now.


78. Poison Friends
Like Private Fears In Public Places, I'm at a little bit of a loss in the ability to say something strong about this film. It has sort of faded from memory a bit. I recall thinking the story was good, but could have been better, and the performances were good, but no one quite stood out. So, I guess, all in all, "nice, but unmemorable" would be the best descriptor I could give.




79. The Boss of It All

God, here is another one... can't really tell you much about it of note at this point in the game. Which is certainly odd for Lars Von Trier

This show started when I was a pre-teen, and I'm in my 30s now, so I grew up with the show, and while I've gotten out of the habit of watching it as of late, I think in its heyday, what I loved about this show was not so much the Simpson Family themselves, but all of the supporting characters surrounding them in Springfield. So, it was a bit disappointing to me that the film focused solely on The Simpsons and some randomly introduced villainous characters while relegating the side characters to a line or two at best. It had an occasional moment, but a disappointment to some degree.

No comments: