Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What Lies Ahead...

Typically, fall is the time of year that gets me excited for movies. The sprng just seems like a hodge podge of nonsense with an occasionally interesting movie thrown in the mix.

The summer offers a lot of movies that I don't like, but I like that it does. I don't like crowded movie theaters, so it's kind of like dangling something shiny to distract your dog while you enjoy a filet mignon. It doesn't happen all the time, but I prefer to keep the riff raff at Transformers, and keep the good films quiet while I go check them out.

I'm still a little disappointed with the year as a whole thus far, and in looking over the fall movie preview of Entertainment Weekly, I'm not getting the cinematic boner I usually do. Every year there seems to be at least one film from a director I adore. But this year's crop features mostly directors that are hit or miss. So while word of mouth is good for some films, I'll make the final determination for myself.

But in some way, I think the fact that I'm going into fall with minimal expectations is a good thing. over the past few years, had you asked me on paper what films I was most looking forward to, a handful delivered, most were ok, and some outright sucked.

Yet, had you told me what my favorite fall films would end up being, I wouldn't have guessed it. And there inlies the beauty. Hopefully, something will come along that will shock the hell out of me and I never saw it coming, which is usually my favorite type of film.

No comments: