Monday, April 19, 2010

2007 Foreign Film Submissions

Awhile back, I decided it might be interesting to try catching all of the foreign films that were submitted in a given year, if for no other reason that to have an education opinion on the matter. I chose 2007 since that was a year they just got colossally wrong based on what little I had seen.

So, I went and caught everything I could, and as it turns out, there's just not a whole lot of the films that are available. I did manage to catch 32 of the 63 films, so just over half, and I think I've finally exhausted every avenue and just have to resign myself to the fact that I caught everything I could get my hands on.

So, if I were to have been on the nomination committee, here is how I would have ranked at least those 32 films:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - Romania
2. Persepolis - France
3. XXY - Argentina
4. Secret Sunshine - South Korea
5. Takva: A Man's Fear of God - Turkey
6. Katyn - Poland
7. Eklavya: The Royal Guard - India
8. The Edge of Heaven - Germany
9. Shadows - Macedonia
10. Satanas - Colombia
11. The Unknown Woman - Italy
12. 12 - Russia
13. The Counterfeiters - Austria
14. The Trap - Serbia
15. Exiled - Hong Kong
16. Island Etude - Taiwan
17. Beaufort - Israel
18. Jar City - Iceland
19. Ben X - Belgium
20. Taxidermia - Hungary
21. Silent Light - Mexico
22. The Pope's Toilet - Uruguay
23. I Served The King of England - Czech Republic
24. The Year My Parents Went On Vacation - Brazil
25. The Silly Age - Cuba
26. Caramel - Lebanon
27. Love Sickness (aka Maldeamores) - Puerto Rico
28. You, The Living - Sweden
29. The Orphanage - Spain
30. Belle Toujours - Portugal
31. Kings - Ireland
32. Mongol - Kazakhstan

No comments: