Monday, August 10, 2009

Top 100 of 2008

I slacked off on this blogging crap for awhile, but I figured I might as well make an attempt to resurrect the site. And what better way to do that than to post my thoughts on 2008 films, since I didn't get around to it last year. There are still a few films I haven't seen that I'd like to get to, most notably, The Class, which won the Palme D'Or at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival.

I think I'm going to refrain from posting detailed thoughts on every film, and probably just reserve commentary until the top 10 or something like that. But, to get things started, here are the films that missed the top 100. I should also proudly add that I did not pay to see a single one of these in theaters:

101. Sex And The City: The Movie
The show was funny in half hour increments. But the franchise has become somewhat of a relic of its time, and really... did we really need close to two and a half hours to tell this story?

102. Flawless
Some film titles just set the joke up far too easily. Silly heist film. Demi Moore struggling with a British accent. Just sort of unintentionally funny.... but just sort of.

103. Baby Mama
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are funny. But the movie wasn't.

104. W.
Seemed like Oliver Stone just wanted to be the first out of the gate to make a biopic about this jackass. I'm sure more will come. But this film doesn't know what it wants to be, but doesn't work on any level.

105. OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies
Kind of like a French version of The Naked Gun, but not funny or clever. Just stupid with subtitles. But the French had a thing for Jerry Lewis too, so maybe I just don't get some French humor. In which case, I suspect Carrot Top and Dane Cook are HUGE over there.

106. Kabluey
I can only imagine that this was the product of some talentless, frustrated screenwriter being stuck in L.A. traffic, looking out the passenger side window, seeing some poor sap dressed in a corporate mascot outfit and thinking "Hey! Nobody's every done a movie about THAT guy!" Well, apparently, for good reason.

107. Chicago 10
Just a complete mess. It's amazing how 2008 landed two animated documentaries at either end of the spectrum. One shows it can work. This shows that it can also fail miserably.

108. Tropic Thunder
This was pretty much aggressively not funny. I just don't understand how anyone liked this at all, yet so many people think this shit was hilarious. Seriously... I just don't understand it. There has to be some sort of pharmaceutical explanation behind people's enjoyment of this terrible, terrible movie.

109. The Wackness
What an annoying piece of shit. I wanted to throw things at my television when I Netflixed this one. Amateur night all the way. Not only was it a complete waste of time, the extent to which it irritated me lasted the rest of the evening.

And the worst film of 2008...

110. Mongol
This movie was tedious as hell, looked like it was filmed through a lens that was smeared with crap, corny effects, and just completely devoid of anything worth recommending. yet this got an Oscar nod for Best Foreign language film in 2007, when amazing films like 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days, Persepolis, XXY, and The Edge of Heaven can't make the list, and of the submissions, I could say that this is the last film that should have been nommed for anything, makes it all the more frustrating that the Oscar nomination process for foreign films is completely screwed up.

No comments: