Thursday, May 15, 2008

Just A Quick Update

Most of trips to the theater as of late haven't been too inspiring, so I haven't been tremendously compelled to write here as of late. I've seen some pretty good classic films via Netflix, such as Jean-Luc Godard's Alphaville and Robert Bresson's Pickpocket, but many of the films I've seen as of late are not ones I've been passionate about to comment on here.

However, I did see one film the other night that I enjoyed immensely. Now, I should state that it's a film I don't want to hype to a tremendous degree: it's a small-scale film that I think would lose something if you go into it burdened with expectations. However, The Visitor, is a film I felt was worth the time. It may not be particularly profound, and there may be a few plot contrivances here and there, but everything about it felt natural and genuine on account of the direction and the acting. Richard Jenkins (the guy who played the dead father on Six Feet Under) is marvelous here, and it's a shame that his work is bound to be ignored unless the critics really latch on to this one.

Rather than to sing it's praises, for the reasons stated above, I will just provide a link to the trailer, and hopefully, someone will discover it too.

The Visitor

No comments: